There are only 5 Tudors we know of. From left to right : Tudor sn 7449, Tudor sn 7452, Tudor sn 7453, Tudor sn unknown and Tudor sn 9082.
NOTE: Although the Tudors are not actual pieces of the museum, they have a place on this site in order to provide the visitor with a complete picture of all the Epiphone acoustic archtop models from 1931 until 1957.
The Tudor appears for the first time in the Epiphone catalog of 1934 and was dropped in the 1936 catalog. It was offered in Grand Auditorium Size only, one step below the De Luxe, which was the top of the Masterbilt line. The Tudor was priced $ 225 “subject to change without notice”. The catalog states: catalog 1934
“The Tudor had a 16 3/8 inch body size and a carved spruce top attached to solid curly maple rims and a carved, highly figured maple back. The top and back were bound in three-ply white/black Pyralin and the pickguard and neck were bound in single-ply white. The f-holes were the three segment style. The simple trapeze tailpiece and individual open back cloverleaf button Grover tuners were gold plated as was the pickguard bracket. The bridge and fingerboard were made of rosewood and the fingerboard inlay included notched pearl triangles at the third and fifth frets with notched diamonds at numbers seven, nine, twelve and fifteen. The end of the fingerboard was curved. The earliest examples had the unbound Masterbilt headstock with the three inlaid banners containing the Epiphone name, model name and the Masterbilt designation. In 1934 the peghead included the Epiphone name inlaid in pearl block letters with an intricate vine inlay underneath. The neck of the Tudor was made of three pieces of curly maple with two dividing strips of mahogany, and was equipped in 1934 with the nonadjustable “expansion truss” reinforcement. The only finish available was the golden sunburst, top and back, with highlighted neck and rims.” (F&F, pp 91-92)
According to Wiedler Epiphone produced from 1934-’35 around 50 Tudors.
Tudor : headstocks
Tudor s/n unknown (Gruhn & Carter, 1993, page 185)