Electar Super sn 1726 : pictures
In on permanent loan from Neil Lamb, noted jazz guitarist from Maine (US) Epiphone Electar Super s/n 1726. The amplifier is currently in the workshop of Anne Doedens for inspection. More info coming soon.
“With Epiphone’s entry into the electric guitar market in 1935 under the Electar name, Electar amplifiers were also introduced. Nat Daniel (1912-1994) designed the earliest of the Epiphone amplifiers, which were operable on both alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC).” (F&F page 143) See also: Luc Henzig p.48
“While Epiphone’s SN systems for acoustic instruments and 1950s electric hollow bodies appear to be pretty straightforward, the SN systems of their other electric instruments and amps are much less so. Over the years a number of different SN systems were used.” (Wiedler) Epiphone produced over the years (1935-’56) eleven amplifier models:
“Housed in a large, black ‘keratol’ (cloth) covered case, the Super looked similar to the other Electar amplifiers with the round speaker opening, Electar logo and Detacho front and back covers. Featuring a “genuine” high fidelity 12″ speaker, this amplifier was rated at thirty watts, had a separate microphone input with volume control and two instrument inputs with volume and tone controls as well as an on/off switch and pilot light. The case was equipped with a separate compartment for carrying accessoires.” (F&F page 149)
Epiphone catalog 1937